9 May 2017: The Current Affairs Quizzes section of mock4exam.org wants to help every aspirant of competitive exams to revise the day at an ease. These quizzes will help you in answering questions which can/may be asked in the next exam that will be faced by you.
1. What is the mascot of Asian Athletics Championships that is scheduled to be held from 6 to 9 July 2017 at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar?
b) Olive Ridley Turtles
c) Fishing cat
d) Irrawaddy dolphins
2. Senate confirmed this person’s name as Trump’s Air Force secretary.
a) Heather Wilson
b) Steven Mnuchin
c) Steven Bannon
d) Gary Cohn
3. India in May 2017 affirmed plans to strengthen their defence cooperation with this country amid rising tension in the Asian region.
a) South Korea
4. The State level Under-19 CAPF Football Talent Hunt Tournament for Boys and Girls organized by Assam Rifles concluded on 8 May 2017 at
5. Which country is currently hosting the 26th session of the Governing Council of UN-Habitat-2017?
6. Name the famous India-born Sitar maestro who passed away recently in Karachi.
a) Vilayat Khan
b) Abdul Halim Jaffer Khan
c) Irshad Khan
d) Rais Khan
7. Name the footballer who was recently named for the FWA Footballer of the Year.
a) Dele Alli
b) Eden Hazard
c) N’Golo Kante
d) Toby Alderweireld
8. Who of the following topped the Sunday Times Rich List 2017?
a) Leonard Blavatnik
b) Sri and Gopi Hinduja
c) David and Simon Reuben
d) Lakshmi Mittal
9. Which country was recently elected as the President of the UN-Habitat?
10. The National Book Trust is planning to organise book fairs at panchayat level in different regions across the country. The body is planning to kick-start the process with the rural areas of which state?
11. The UN General Assembly designated 8-9 May as a Time of remembrance and reconciliation to pay tribute to the victims of which devastating incident?
a) World War I
b) World War II
c) Cold War
d) Atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
12. The residents of which state will soon have a smart house Ids?
b) Uttar Pradesh
13. Unexploded World War II bombs were found in which country?
14. Two Indian warships INS Mumbai and INS Aditya, were on a three-day visit to which country on the Mediterranean coast?
15. Name the new doctrine that was spelled by Home Minister Rajnath Singh to tackle against the problem of Maoists during the Review Meeting of Left Wing Extremism affected State in recent past.
1. (b) Olive Ridley Turtle
2. (a) Heather Wilson
3. (c) Japan
4. (b) Kohima
5. (a) Kenya
6. (d) Rais Khan
7. (c) N’Golo Kante
8. (b) Sri and Gopi Hinduja
9. (a) India
10. (c) Chhattisgarh
11. (b) World War II
12. (a) Haryana
13. (c) Germany
14. (d) Egypt
15. (b) SAMADHAN
1. Which Indian cricketer has been conferred with the Fellowship Award in United Kingdom (UK)?
[A] Sachin Tendulkar
[B] Ravi Shastri
[C] M S Dhoni
[D] Sunil Gavaskar
Correct Answer: A [Sachin Tendulkar]
Explanation: Indian cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar has been conferred with the Fellowship Award at the 7th annual Asian Awards in United Kingdom (UK). Beside this, India’s playback singer Adnan Sami has also won the award for ‘Outstanding achievement in Music.” The award for outstanding achievement in Cinema was conferred to renowned Indian actor Om Puri who died in 2017. Other award recipients were Krishnan Guru-Murthy (Outstanding Achievement in Television), Ajay Banga (Business Leader of the Year), Masayoshi Son (Entrepreneur of the year), Nisha Dutt (Social Entrepreneur of the year), Dr Jack Preger (Philanthropist of the year), Ding Punhui (Outstanding achievement in sport), Demis Hassabis (Outstanding achievement in Science and Technology) and Sir Harpal Kumar (Outstanding contribution to the community).
2. Who has been conferred with the Tholkappiyar Award for the year 2015-16?
[A] A Dakshinamurthy
[B] S Rajalaksmi
[C] S N Kandaswamy
[D] R Kalaikkovan
Correct Answer: D [R Kalaikkovan]
Explanation: The Tholkappiyar award is a Presidential Award for scholars in classical Tamil. Recently, President Pranab Mukherjee presented the ‘Presidential Awards for Classical Tamil’ for the year 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 at a function in Rashtrapati Bhavan on May 9, 2017. The Tholkappiyar Award for lifetime achievement in classical Tamil was awarded to Dr S N Kandaswamy (2013-14), Dr A Dakshinamurthy (2014-15) and Dr R Kalaikkovan (2015-16). Young scholar awards were conferred on 15 persons. The awards were instituted to give recognition and honour to distinguished scholars who have made outstanding contribution to Classical Tamil language and literature. The award carries a citation and shawl and a cash prize of Rs. 5 lakh for Tholkappiyar awardees, while Rs 1 lakh for young Scholar Awardees. The awards have been instituted by the Central Institute of Classical Tamil functioning under the aegis of Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).
3. The Dalma Wildlife Sanctuary is located in which state?
[D] Uttar Pradesh
Answer: B [Jharkhand]
Explanation: The Dalma Wildlife Sanctuary is located 10 km from the city of Jamshedpur in Jharkhand. It is famous for holding many elephants and other animals, which come downhill during the monsoons and winter and enter nearby villages and towns of Jharkhand and West Bengal. Beside elephants there are Indian giant squirrel, sloth bear, barking deer, wild boar, porcupine, mouse deer, pangolin and mongooses in the sanctuary. Commonly seen birds in the sanctuary are the falcons, golden oriole, Indian tree pie, paradise fly catchers, grey hornbills, Indian peafowl, different varieties of king fishers, herons, egrets, mynas, pigeons, racket tailed drongo, magpie robins etc.
4. What is the India’s GDP growth forecast for FY 18, according to IMF’s latest report ‘Regional Economic Outlook (REO) for Asia and Pacific’?
Answer: B [7.2%]
Explanation: As per latest report “Regional Economic Outlook (REO) for Asia and Pacific” by International Monetary Fund (IMF), India’s GDP growth is projected to rebound to 7.2% in the FY18 (2017 18) and 7.7% in FY19 (2018-19) after disruptions caused by demonetization. IMF has recommended the removal of long-standing structural bottlenecks to enhance market efficiency. It said temporary disruptions caused by cash shortages accompanying the currency exchange initiative are expected to gradually dissipate in 2017 as cash shortages ease. Such disruptions would also be offset by tailwinds from a favorable monsoon season and continued progress in resolving supply-side bottlenecks. The IMF maintains a positive outlook on the Indian economic growth and is confident that the Goods and Services Tax (GST) implementation will be smooth. According to the report, growth in Asia is forecast to accelerate to 5.5% in 2017 from 5.3% in 2016.
5. The 2017 hunting festival “Bishu Parv” was observed in which state?
[C] West Bengal
Answer: A [Jharkhand]
Explanation: The 2017 hunting festival ‘Bishu Parv (or Sendra)” of the tribal community has recently observed in a ‘bloodless and symbolic’ manner without harming the wildlife in the Dalma Wildlife Sanctuary in Jharkhand. To observe fest peacefully, the awareness campaign was launched by the forest department to convince the tribals to observe the hunting festival in a symbolic manner. Apart from this, the forest department has set up check posts at all entry points to prevent hunters from entering the sanctuary with arms to kill the animals. The wildlife sanctuary has elephants, barking deer, sloth bear and porcupines as the main inhabitants.
6. The headquarters of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) is located in which city?
[C] New Delhi
Correct Answer: C [New Delhi]
Explanation: The Union government has approved the proposal for re-appointment of Sushil Chandra as Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) for a period of one year from June 1, 2017 till May 31, 2018. He was scheduled to retire on June 1, 2017. The Chairperson of CBDT is ex-officio special secretary and is under the direct charge of the revenue secretary of India. The CBDT is the apex policy making body for the Income Tax department. It has six members apart from the chairman and is responsible for framing policy and administrative issues related to direct taxes and the Income Tax department. The headquarters of CBDT is located in New Delhi.