Study Daily Current Affairs from Daily GK Update on Mock4exam.org, and stay updated as well as prepare for General Awareness section of bank exams. Its time to gear up your preparations for All Govt Exam 2017, and with daily dose of current affairs you can easily prepare G.A and score well.
Gujarat first state to implement coal utilisation between power units
- Setting a precedent, the Gujarat government has issued a tender for power developers to receive cheap coal marked for the state in return for selling coal-based power at less than Rs 2.82 a unit.
- Through the auction, Gujarat will transfer the coal allocated to power generating stations owned by Gujarat State Electricity Corporation (GSECL) to more fuel-efficient private power plants.
- The reverse auction would be held in September for procuring 1,000 megawatt (Mw) of power. The successful power plant would be selling electricity to the state from October 1 to June 30, 2018
- The move is in line with the initiatives of the central government to ensure fuel availability to stressed power plants.
- The aim is to reduce the cost of fuel for financially ailing distribution companies and ensure effective distribution of domestic coal.
UP CM Yogi Adityanath flagged off ‘Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra’ from Lucknow
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath flagged off the ‘Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra’ from his official residence in state capital Lucknow.
- The ‘Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra’ is being organised by the Uttar Pradesh Home Guards.
- ‘Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra’ will conclude on September 6.
India ratifies 2nd commitment period of Kyoto Protocol
- India has ratified the second commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol that commits countries to contain the emission of greenhouse gases, reaffirming its stand on climate action.
- In a brief statement, India’s Permanent Mission to the UN said that India deposited its Instrument of Acceptance of the Doha Amendment to the Kyoto Protocol under the UN Convention on Climate Change here yesterday.
- With this, India became the 80th country to accept the amendment relating to the second commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol, the international emissions reduction treaty.
- The Kyoto Protocol is an international agreement linked to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), which commits its Parties by setting internationally binding emission reduction targets.
- The Kyoto Protocol was adopted in Kyoto, Japan, in December 1997 and entered into force in February 2005.
8th meeting of Regional Technical Group on Trade, Commerce and Investment CBM of the Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process held in New Delhi
- The eighth meeting of the Regional Technical Group of Confidence Building Measure on Trade, Commerce & Investment Opportunities under the Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process was hosted by India
- The participants shared the view that Afghanistan acted as a natural bridge in promoting regional connectivity and economic integration.
- There was consensus that economic development was an important factor in ensuring peace and stability in Afghanistan and the Heart of Asia Region. In this context, the participants shared views on various measures and steps to promote transit and trade and realizing reliable and robust connectivity, with Afghanistan as the hub.
- This included the recognition of the need to make the existing transit and trade agreements more inclusive and comprehensive by expanding them both northwards and southwards to connect South Asia with Central Asia; strengthening growth of small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and involvement of women in economic development, including through women entrepreneurship; and simplifying customs procedures.
- The initiative by India to develop a web portal, with participation of FICCI, for exchanging information on regional markets, trade and investment opportunities; and facilitating networking between businesses for the participating countries was appreciated.
Dhaka to open diplomatic station in Chennai
- Bangladesh will soon open a new diplomatic station in Chennai.
- The new post was likely to focus on medical tourism and educational centres that drew thousands of Bangladesh citizens to India every year.
- The main focus of the new diplomatic station in Chennai will be to address the needs of Bangladeshi citizens who visit India for medical and educational purposes.
- Medical treatment, especially super-specialty treatment of kidney, eye and neurological issues available in southern India, is the best in the region, which draws our citizens to India in large numbers. This has helped build a strong people-to-people bond
- Bangladesh at present has a High Commission in Delhi, two Deputy High Commissions in Kolkata and Mumbai, and two Assistant High Commissions in Guwahati and Agartala. The outpost in Agartala was the latest to be upgraded in the past decade.
Qatar offers visa-free entry to 80 countries, including India
- Qatar announced on Wednesday a programme to allow visa-free entry for citizens of 80 countries to encourage air transport and tourism amid a two-month boycott imposed on the Gulf state by its neighbors.
- Nationals from dozens of countries in Europe and elsewhere including India, Lebanon, New Zealand, South Africa, and the United States will now receive tourist visas on arrival to the gas-rich country which hosts the soccer World Cup in 2022.
Daily Current Affairs Quiz : 10 August 2017
1. World Bio-fuel Day is observed as
a. 10 August
b. 9 August
c. 11 August
d. 8 August
2. Who invented the diesel engine?
a. Sir Raimond Diesel
b. Sir Ronald Diesel
c. Sir Ralph Diesel
d. Sir Rudolph Diesel
3. Which of the following is first state to implement coal utilisation between power units?
a. Madhya Pradesh
4. The Kyoto Protocol is an international agreement linked to the
a. United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
b. United Nations Security Council
c. United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
d. United Nations Institute for Training and Research
5. Complete the sentence using the correct country’s name.
The eighth meeting of the Regional Technical Group of Confidence Building Measure on Trade, Commerce & Investment Opportunities under the Heart of Asia – ____________ Process was hosted by India
6. Bangladesh will open a new diplomatic station in
7. Which Arab country has announced a programme to allow visa-free entry for citizens of 80 countries to encourage air transport and tourism?
8. Which country has topped the Global Retirement 2017 Index released by Natixis Global and what was India’s rank in the index?
a. Norway, 22
b. Switzerland, 43
c. Iceland, 34
d. None of the above
9. Which bank announced the launch of Instant Credit Card Service, which will enable its savings account customers to get a credit card instantly, in a completely digital and paperless manner?
a. IDFC Bank
b. Indian Bank
c. Axis Bank
d. ICICI Bank
10. For promoting an e – payments solution, private lender IDFC Bank has partnered with digital payments brand
a. Citrus Pay
1. a. 10 August
2. b. Sir Rudolph Diesel
3. b. Gujarat
4. a. United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
5. c. Istanbul
6. d. Chennai
7. a. Qatar
8. b. Switzerland, 43
9. d. ICICI Bank
10. b. Zeta