Study Daily Current Affairs from Daily GK Update on Mock4exam.org, and stay updated as well as prepare for General Awareness section of bank exams. Its time to gear up your preparations for All Govt Exam 2017, and with daily dose of current affairs you can easily prepare G.A and score well.
1. Lok Sabha has passed the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill, 2017. In this regard, consider the following statements.
I. The Banking Regulation Bill 2017 seeks to amend the Banking Regulation Act, 1949.
II. It seeks to replace the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2017, which was promulgated on 4 June 2017.
III. It seeks to empower RBI to issue directions to the banking companies to resolve specific stressed assets by initiating the recently enacted Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (IBC).
Which is/are correct?
a) Only III
b) Only I and II
c) Only I and III
d) I, II and III
2. Name the paralympic Javelin Thrower from India who became the first paralympian to be recommended for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award by the awards selection committee, headed by Justice (Retd) CK Thakkar.
a) Devendra Jhajharia
b) Mariyappan Thangavelu
c) Varun Bhati
d) None of the above
3. The Lok Sabha recently passed the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Amendment) Bill, 2017. In this regard, consider the following statements:
I. The Bill enables exit of the Reserve Bank of India from the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development.
II. The Bill seeks to increase authorised capital of the development institution six times to Rs 30000 crore.
Which of the above statements is/are true?
a) Only I
b) Only II
c) Both I and II
d) Neither I nor II
4. Israel recently launched its first environmental research satellite. What is the name of the satellite?
5. Name the mobile application that was developed by the Indian Army to enable serving soldiers to track details like postings, promotions, and monthly payslips as well as form 16.
d) On Duty
6. Name the institution/organization that in its report has said that India is more attractive to FDIs as compared to other emerging markets.
c) World Bank
7. Who will head the Committee constituted to study and identify key data protection issues and recommend methods for addressing them?
a) Justice BN Srikrishna
b) Justice SH Kapadia
c) Justice Arijit Pasayat
d) Justice RM Lodha
8. Which portal was recently launched by the Union Government to provide a platform to sell agricultural produce?
d) None of the above
9. Cabinet of this state has approved Religious Freedom bill 2017 in which forceful or allurement induced religious conversion will be a non-bailable criminal offence.
b) Madhya Pradesh
10. Which Indian sportsperson was conferred with the East Bengal Football Club’s highest honour ‘Bharat Gaurav’?
a) Dhanraj Pillay
b) Mary Kom
c) Pusarla Sindhu
d) Subhash Bhowmick
11. Which organisation signed MoU with the National Skill Development Corporation on skill development?
a) Central Reserve Police Force
b) Border Security Force
c) Seema Suraksha Bal
d) Central Industrial Security Force
12. Which country is the world’s largest exporter of beef, as per OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2017-2026 report?
13. India has signed a new bilateral agreement on Trade, Commerce and Transit. The agreement would provide for a free trade regime between the territory of India and which country?
14. Which bill seeking constitutional status for the National Commission for Backward Classes was passed by the Rajya Sabha on 31 July 2017?
a) The Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill, 2017
b) The Appropriation Bill (No. 3 and 4)
c) The Participation of Workers in Management Bill, 1990
d) Constitutional (123rd Amendment) Bill, 2017
15. The Supreme Court has imposed a ban on the use of 5 harmful metals in firecrackers. Which among the following metals does not fall in the banned list?
Answers with Explanation
1. (c) Only I and III
The Banking Regulation Bill 2017 that was passed in Lok Sabha on 3 August 2017 seeks to amend the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 and replace the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Ordinance, 2017, which was promulgated on 4 May 2017. The bill seeks to empower the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to issue directions to the banking companies to resolve specific stressed assets by initiating the recently enacted Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 (IBC).
2. (a) Devendra Jhajharia
Two-time Paralympic Javelin Throw gold-medallist Devendra Jhajharia today became the first paralympian to be recommended for the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award. The awards selection committee, headed by Justice (Retd) CK Thakkar, nominated the names and suggested that both Jhanjhariya and Sardar Singh be considered for the award jointly. The final call on this would be taken by the Sports Ministry.
3. (c) Both I and II
The Lok Sabha on 3 August 2017 passed the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Amendment) Bill, 2017 by voice vote. The Bill enables exit of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) from the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) and increase authorised capital of the development institution six times to Rs 30000 crore.
4. (b) Venus
Venus, the first Israeli satellite for environmental research was launched on 2 August 2017 from the European spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana. The satellite is a joint effort by the Israel Space Agency and the French Space Agency (CNES). The satellite was built in Israel by the Israel Aerospace Industries. Venus is considered the smallest satellite of its kind in the world. It is crafted to survey and monitor large areas to study soil, vegetation, forests, agriculture, water and air quality and other aspects of the environment.
5. (b) Humraaz
The Indian Army has developed a mobile application named Humraaz. The app will allow serving soldiers to track details like postings and promotions. Reports suggest that an army official has said that trough the app ‘Humraaz’, soldiers can also view their monthly salary slips and the Form 16 and also download them.
6. (b) Nomura
India along with Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, the Philippines and Vietnam is more attractive to FDIs as compared to other emerging markets. A report by Japan’s financial services major, Nomura, dubbed India and these ASEAN countries as Asia’s tiger cubs. It said FDI inflows to these nations will increase from around 100 billion US Dollars per year now to around 240 billion dollars by 2025.
7. (a) Justice BN Srikrishna
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) constituted a Committee to study and identify key data protection issues and recommend methods for addressing them. The Committee of Experts headed by Justice BN Srikrishna, former Judge of Supreme Court, will also suggest a draft Data Protection Bill for data protection.
8. (b) e-RaKam
The Union Government on 1 August 2017 launched a portal, e-RaKAM, to provide a platform to sell agricultural produce. The portal is a joint initiative by state-run-auctioneer MSTC and Central Warehousing Corporation arm CRWC.
9. (c) Jharkhand
Jharkhand Cabinet on 1 August 2017 approved Religious Freedom Bill 2017. The bill named as Jharkhand Freedom of Religion Bill, 2017 seeks to bring stringent anti-conversion law in place under which forceful or allurement induced religious conversion will be a non-bailable criminal offence. Section three of the Bill prohibits forceful conversion.
10. (a) Dhanraj Pillay
Former India hockey captain Dhanraj Pillay was conferred with the East Bengal football club’s highest honour “Bharat Gaurav”. Pillay has played a huge role in reviving the Indian team and performed brilliantly during his 15-year career.
11. (b) Border Security Force
The Border Security Force (BSF) signed MoU with the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC). The MoU will enable NSDC to provide skill training to retired and retiring BSF personnel, as well as to the population residing in the border areas.
12. (c) Brazil
According to the recently released OECD-FAO Agricultural Outlook 2017-2026 report, Brazil is the world’s largest exporter of beef, followed by Australia and India. As per report, India exported 1.56 million tonnes of beef in 2016.
13. (b) Bhutan
The new bilateral Agreement on Trade, Commerce and Transit between India and Bhutan came into force on 29 July 2017. It aims to strengthen the bilateral relations between India and Bhutan. The Agreement provides for a free trade regime between the territories of India and Bhutan. It also provides for a duty-free transit of Bhutanese merchandise for trade with third countries.
14. (d) Constitutional (123rd Amendment) Bill, 2017
The Rajya Sabha on 31 July 2017 passed the Constitutional (123rd Amendment) Bill, 2017, which seeks to give constitutional status to the National Commission for Backward Classes on the same lines of the SC and ST Commission, with the government assuring that the new law will not intrude on the rights of the states or federal structure.
15. (d) Zinc
A Supreme Court bench headed by Justice Madan B Lokur on 1 August 2017 imposed a ban on the use of five harmful metals including lead, mercury, lithium, arsenic and antimony in firecrackers citing air pollution as the main reason.